New Jersey Family Law

Full-service family law firm in Moorestown. Whether you are experiencing the pain of marital conflict or anticipating the joys of adoption, or facing another legal issue close to home, at the Law Office of Berge Tumaian, LLC, Berge listens to your needs, understands your concerns, and helps you reach solutions to your legal problems. The Law Office of Berge Tumaian, LLC has served families in New Jersey for over sixteen years. As a family law attorney, Berge provides legal services across a wide spectrum of areas, including:

  • Alimony and modifications
  • Child custody and parenting time
  • Child support
  • Child support modification and enforcement
  • Mediation
  • Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements
  • Adoption
  • Name Change


Throughout your divorce process, Berge stands by you. Berge accompanies you through mediation or litigation process, depending on which is likely to obtain the best possible results for you — including fair distribution of marital assets, division of the marital home, child support payments and child custody and parenting time rights.

Contact a Moorestown family law attorney you can trust.

Alimony and Modifications

Divorce is difficult, but it should not lead to a financial crisis. At the Law Office of Berge Tumaian, LLC, Berge helps you establish fair and equitable spousal support so you can continue to live as comfortably as you did before your marriage ended, based on the Alimony Reform, which is the law that was signed by the Governor on September 10, 2014.  Berge can explain how the Federal Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 further changed the alimony landscape.

Child custody and parenting time

For every parent, child custody is the most heart-wrenching aspect of a relationship. As a matrimonial and family law attorney, Berge advocates for your parental rights so you can raise your children in an appropriate and healthy home.

Child support

Both parents share the responsibility of raising a child. As your attorney, Berge helps ensure that your child receives the financial support required for a healthy, happy and secure upbringing.

Child support modification and enforcement

Child support payments remain the same unless and until the Court modifies the child support Order. If either parent experiences a significant change in circumstances, such as financial, Berge can guide you through the proper legal procedures to modify your child support payments accordingly.


Mediation puts the decisions in your hands, and can often provide more expedient, predictable results than a trial in a Court of law. Berge is a skilled negotiator who can help you obtain the most favorable divorce settlement using mediation.

Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements

When you intend to marry your beloved, you will not foresee the potential problems that can eventually lead to divorce. At the Law Office of Berge Tumaian, LLC, Berge can protect you from the unexpected and draft a pre-marital agreement that protects the interests of both future spouses, which can alleviate some of the stress should you ever divorce.


The adoption process can be a complicated one, but most rewarding. During the adoption process, a child’s legal rights are transferred from the biological parent(s) to the adoptive parent(s). An adoption action can be initiated by anyone who is at least 18 years old and 10 years older than the child to be adopted. Criminal history background checks and fingerprints from the New Jersey State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation on all adults, except the birth parent, living in the household are necessary. If one spouse is to be the adoptive parent, the other spouse must also consent to the adoption.  Once the Judgment of Adoption is granted, a new birth certificate must be requested from the same agency that issued the original birth certificate, reflecting any changes as a result of the adoption. For children adopted in New Jersey who were born in another state, a certified Report of Adoption form must be sent to that state along with the Judgment of Adoption and request for new birth certificate.
It is best to consult with our law office once you have decided on adoption. Our firm handles private adoptions where the adoptive parent is a step-parent. In these cases, no outside agency investigation is required before a hearing. In all adoptions the Court decides what is in the best interest of the child(ren).

Name Change

There are many reasons for changing your name. Some of these may be tied to the occurrence of a significant event such as marriage, divorce or adoption. Other circumstances require the filing of a Verified Complaint for Name Change with the Superior Court in the County where you reside. This is done if you want a name change for personal reasons or to change your name so that your name is the same on all your important documents (driver’s license, birth certificate, social security card, other types of identification cards, and alike). A change of name cannot be for purposes of avoiding or obstructing criminal prosecution, or for avoiding creditors, or perpetrating a criminal or civil fraud. Knowingly giving false information is a felony crime. Contact our office at 856-722-1818 for a free consultation.
Should you want to be self represented and proceed on your own to change your name, the process begins with the filing of a Complaint and associated pleadings (Order Fixing Date of Hearing, Final Judgment and Case Information Statement) with the Court. Copies of the filed documents are returned to you and the Court will advise in which newspaper the date of the hearing must be published. All appropriate parties must also be notified. If you have pending criminal or delinquent charges in New Jersey, the State or County Prosecutor must be notified of your application for a name change. Proof must be provided to the Court of the newspaper publication and that the appropriate parties have been notified. After the hearing and granting of the name change, the final judgment must be published in the same newspaper and a Notice served on all appropriate parties. Once again, proof of publication and notification of all parties must be filed with the Court. The same procedure is followed for changing the name of a child under 18 years of age. Copies of the certified final judgment must also be sent to the Department of Treasury, the Registrar of Vital Statistics, and the Motor Vehicle Commission (where you must be present in person).  Contact our office at 856-722-1818 for a free consultation and how we can help with the process.

Call the Law Office of Berge Tumaian, LLC, at 856-722-1818 or contact me online to schedule an appointment for a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney.